Putin in Brazil for Russia’s WTO Ambitions

    Although a number of memorandums will be signed in various areas, the main objective of Russian president Vladimir Putin’s visit to Brazil, which begins today, is to obtain support for Russian membership in the World Trade Organization.

    The Russians have been pursuing the issue since May of last year when Brazil announced its recognition of Russia as a market economy.


    “The Russians were very pleased with Brazilian market economy recognition,” explains minister of Development, Industry and Foreign Trade, Luiz Fernando Furlan,” because they are eager to be WTO members.”


    Brazilian meat exporters have been trying to get the government to link support for Russian aspirations to Brazilian exports.


    Russia has agreements with the US and EU for 90% of the meat it imports. Brazil and other countries get the remaining 10%, which works out to only 68,000 tons.


    But the government has not linked its support, preferring to discuss the meat problem at the WTO.


    The Putin visit, the first official visit by a Russian leader, comes at a moment when Brazil is seeking to diversify its exports to Russia.


    Suffice it to say that 85% of Brazilian exports to Russia are meat and sugar.


    Total Brazilian exports, up to August, reached US$ 1 billion, with imports at US$ 483 million.


    In 2002, total bilateral trade reached US$ 2 billion. Brazil wants to raise total trade with Russia to US$ 6 billion by the year 2006.


    Agência Brasil
    Translator: Allen Bennett

    Tags:

    • Show Comments (0)

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    comment *

    • name *

    • email *

    • website *

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

    Ads

    You May Also Like

    UK Firm to Help Brazil Develop Polymer OLED Applications

    Cambridge Display Technology (CDT) has struck a deal to sell inkjet printing equipment to ...

    United Brazil and South America Depend Less on US and EU, says Lula

    On his biweekly radio program, Brazilian President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva said today ...

    Brazil Teaches the US One or Two Things on Electronic Election

    The president of Brazil’s Federal Electoral Court (TSE), Minister Carlos Velloso, the secretary of ...

    In Brazil, Finding a Replacement for the Agonizing Democracy

    In the Brazilian magazine Caros Amigos (Dear Friends), one of the last bastions of ...

    Brazilian Minister Gets a Middle East Full of Meetings

    The Brazilian minister of Foreign Relations, Celso Amorim, arrived in the Middle East yesterday ...

    Brazil Embraer 195

    Air Europa Buys an Additional Six Jets from Brazil’s Embraer

    Brazilian aircraft maker Embraer signed a firm order with Globalia, owned by Juan Jose ...

    Brazil: Different Laws for Different Folks

    In Brazil, a white must obey all the laws, but an Indian can kill, ...

    State-controlled Brazilian oil company Petrobras

    In 19 Countries, Brazil’s Petrobras Learns to Play Global Game

    Brazil's state-controlled oil company Petrobras will present its experiences at the Conference of the ...

    Brazil's Bovespa

    Brazil Market Falls 60% from Peak Performance in May

    For the first time in three years, this Monday, October 27, Brazil's stock exchange, ...

    Brazilian Foreign minister, Celso Amorim

    Brazil Won’t Accept Separatism in Bolivia, Minister Warns

    Celso Amorim, the Brazilian Foreign minister said that South America would never accept "separatism ...