Brazil’s Dream Project: Bringing Moribund Atlantic Rainforest Back

    Brazil's onça (jaguar) threatened with extinction in Atlantic Rainforest

    Brazil's onça (jaguar) threatened with extinction in Atlantic Rainforest The Atlantic rainforest known in Brazil as Mata Atlântica once spanned a million square kilometers (around 400,000 square miles). It barely covers 7% of that today. The deforestation has left farmers and wildlife with failing springs, receding groundwater and destroyed habitats.

    But an ambitious project in Brazil's most crowded state, São Paulo, aims to bring the rainforest and its ecosystem back.

    In an article published in Science magazine, Bernice Wuethrich reveals how the Riparian Forest Restoration Project aims to restore a million hectares of rainforest through experiments with different restoration methods in five pilot projects.

    Some emphasize replanting trees alone while others aim to return a variety of plants and animals simultaneously. Their tactics include moving squares of topsoil from intact forest to deliver soil microbes, earthworms and fungi, and planting groundcover to attract butterflies.

    Species diversity is seen as key to success, along with participation from locals. Farmers, for instance, volunteer land for replanting, while their children may work as environmental monitors.

    The São Paulo government, looking to set up a fund for ecosystem services, says the project could become a model for all Brazil.

    Tags:

    • Show Comments (2)

    • Andy Murphy

      To Bob

      The Brazilians do not have to destroy the Amazon and 95% of them are against it.Unfortunately the other 5% is greedy and do not think about the consequences.There is not a single politician who talks about the damages,the destruction is going to cause for the future generations. The Brazilians do not have some one like Al Gore defending the interest of their beautiful forests,rivers , mountains and beaches.

    • Bob Greenie

      Reforestation
      What great news to see Brazil finally taking steps to reintroduce rainforest to damaged areas.
      The World is finally waking to the fact that far too much of our ecosystem has been needlessly destroyed. I think it important that the World now assists Brazil to keep the remaining Amazon forest intact. It is so crucial to the future of us all.

      Bob
      New Zealand

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    comment *

    • name *

    • email *

    • website *

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

    Ads

    You May Also Like

    Brazil’s Company Real Estate Now Speaks English

    Company S.A., one of the largest construction companies and real estate developers for medium- ...

    Brazil: Scandal Forces Lula to Participate in Last TV Debate Before Election

    Brazilian President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva, after days of suspense and just hours ...

    In Bed With a Brazilian

    Brazilians spend an average of 30 minutes doing it. By comparison, Thais don’t spend ...

    In Brazil, Police Are Bandit, But Also Victim

    Fourteen-year-old schoolboy Douglas Brasil de Paula was playing pinball in a bar. João da ...

    All the Americas in Brazil Drawing Plans for Bird Flu War

    Luiz Carlos Guedes Pinto, the executive secretary at the Brazilian Ministry of Agriculture, says ...

    Brazil Has 42 Million Volunteers

    Brazil’s National Volunteer Day was commemorated yesterday, August 28. According to a study conducted ...

    Brazilian stamp with general presidents

    Brazilians Involved in Military Era’s Operation Condor Won’t Be Extradited

    Authorities in Brazil have said they are awaiting notification from Italy on arrest warrants ...

    Brazil condom ad: I'm going with this garment

    Brazilians to Get 1.2 Bi Free Condoms from Government in 2009, a World Record

    The Ministry of Health of Brazil announced that it will purchase 1.2 billion condoms ...

    New Brazilian Representative Confesses: I’d Take a Bribe But Only a Big One

    Clodovil Hernandes, 70, a self-professed gay, who once was a renowned Brazilian clothes designer ...