• Categories
  • Archives

Brazil Has Strong Case Against Bolivia in International Court

The Brazilian government has the option of going to court (the International Court of Justice) to contest the change in the rules for the petroleum industry in consequence of the Bolivian decision to nationalize the country’s petroleum and natural gas reserves.

This would be the most likely course, according to Umberto Celli Júnior, professor of International Law at the University of São Paulo (USP), if Brazil decides to submit the matter to a legal solution. The International Court has already ruled on similiar issues.

As Celli Júnior sees it, however, the Brazilian government should first adopt a posture of political and diplomatic negotiation. "Based on Brazil’s present foreign policy of delaying things and trying to reach political solutions, this should be the initial approach," he said.

According to the professor, the possibility of appealing to the International Court might serve as a means to press Evo Morales’ government to rethink the decision it announced on Monday, May 1st.

Celli Júnior believes that the economic damage Petrobras could suffer might influence the Brazilian government’s decision. "This could have an impact on how long Brazil will be willing to seek a diplomatic solution before going to court."

The Bolivian nationalization decree determines that all the country’s petroleum and natural gas reserves should be transferred to the state-run Yacimientos Petroliferos Fiscales Bolivianos (YPFB), which will be in charge of selling the products.

Another change has to do with the profits: 82% of the revenues will go to the Bolivian government and the remaining 18% to the operating companies.

Since the privatization of the sector in the 1990’s, three foreign companies have been responsible for the country’s petroleum and natural gas production: the British firm, BP, the Spanish firm, Repsol, and the Brazilian state-run company, Petrobras.

According to the international law specialist, Evo Morales’ decision violates international rules concerning foreign investments. Besides the International Court of Justice, Brazil could also take the case to the World Trade Organization (WTO), of which both Brazil and Bolivia are members.

However, according to Celli Júnior, even though the WTO has a conflict resolution mechanism for disputes brought by member states, the WTO wouldn’t be the best forum, since it doesn’t have specific rules concerning investments.

"The most traditional path to resolve the problem, if it turns into a legal issue, would be the International Court of Justice," he said.

Celli Júnior pointed out that there is no formal agreement between the Brazilian and Bolivian governments protecting investments made in Bolivia. If Brazil decides to go to court with the question, its case will have to be based on the contract between Petrobras and the Bolivian government and the rules of international law.

"In relation to Brazil, the situation is quite unusual and unprecedented," he observed.

For Bolivia, on the other hand, the situation is nothing new, the professor observed. Two or three years ago, the public water supply system, which was in private hands, was nationalized.

Agência Brasil

Tags:

  • Show Comments (0)

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

comment *

  • name *

  • email *

  • website *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Ads

You May Also Like

Agriculture Leads 6th Month of Job Growth in Brazil

The level of formal employment in Brazil rose for the sixth straight month, as ...

Brazil Earmarks US$ 367 Million for Research and Development

The Brazilian Ministry of Science and Technology reports that it is issuing 45 contracts ...

Iraqi President Welcomes in Baghdad New Brazilian Ambassador

Bernardo de Azevedo Brito, the new Brazilian ambassador to Iraq, presented his credentials, Tuesday, ...

Election Dysfunction

Only four months before the presidential elections in Brazil, mega investor George Soros told ...

Rescuers Try to Save Whale Who Swam 560 Miles Up Brazil’s Amazon River

A team of biologists and veterinarians from the Ibama (Brazilian Institute of Environment and ...

Fimma Fair, Brazil’s Furniture Showcase

The Machines, Raw Materials and Accessories Trade Fair for the Furniture Industry, Fimma Brasil, ...

US Taxes Brazilian Shrimp. Brazil Reacts Cheerily.

Brazilian shrimp are subject to a 10.4% surcharge on exports to the United States, ...

Lula Blames Gossip for Brazilian Crisis

Brazilian President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva declared that he was indignant because of ...

Brazil Finds Clients for Its Expensive Toy Cars in Qatar

Fapinha, a Brazilian maker of mini vehicles for children, is going to export 150 ...

Brazil Raises US$ 1.3 Billion in Bonds Overseas

Brazil’s National Treasury successfully concluded a sale of Brazilian government bonds known as Global ...