Brazil Might Appeal to International Courts Against Bolivia’s Gas Nationalization

    A price increase in the natural gas it imports from Bolivia could be the least of Brazil’s problems as a result of Bolivian President Evo Morales’ decision to nationalize that country’s oil and gas reserves.

    This according to Giuseppe Bococcoli, a researcher at the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro’s postgraduate school of engineering (Coordenação de Programas de Pós-Graduação de Engenharia da Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro) (Coppe-UFRJ),

    The worse scenario, says Bococcoli, would be an interruption of the gas supply. The reason is simple: more that 50% of the gas Brazil consumes comes from Bolivia at the moment.

    Bacoccoli goes on to say that if Brazil needs Bolivia, it is also true that Bolivia needs Brazil. "Not only to buy its gas. Brazil is one of the few countries in the world with the necessary know-how in the petroleum and gas sectors…. Bolivia will need our knowledge and our technology," he says, adding that over 40% of all the gas being produced in Bolivia was discovered by Petrobras.

    In his analysis of the situation, Bococcoli points out that Morales has proposed to split the revenue from big gas fields (exactly where Petrobras operates) 82% for Bolivia, and the remaining 18% for the drilling company.

    In smaller fields the split would be 60-40. "He is doing that because of the astronomical rise in petroleum prices, believing that gas should follow suit," explains the researcher.

    Morales has also increased royalty payments, raising them from 30% to 50%. Besides all that, according to Bococcoli, Morales is also basically proposing to take over 51% of everything Petrobras has installed in Bolivia.

    But Bolivia does not have money to pay Petrobras for its installations. And then, Bococcoli continues, Brazil is supposed to come in with money and technology. "Bolivia comes in with its flag. A flag of bad taste, in this case."

    Bococcoli concludes by saying that the situation is very complex. "Brazil can appeal to international courts and maybe make some changes in its diplomatic policies."

    Agência Brasil

    Tags:

    • Show Comments (1)

    • Guest

      Lula…..
      and all their exppoerts should not be surprised.
      Morales said a long time ago that if elected, he would nationalize Bolivia gas.
      Lula was pro Morales before the election.

      Brazil is paying only 50 % of the natural gas matket price to Bolivia.

      Is this fair ???

      Or do you want once more…something special….just for you ?

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    comment *

    • name *

    • email *

    • website *

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

    Ads

    You May Also Like

    Some Brazilians in Germany Have Only One Dream: To Go Back Home

    The weekly German newsmagazine Der Spiegel has just published a long article about the ...

    Brazil Gets Ready to Run Its Buses on Gas

    The first step in a significant change in Brazil’s energy matrix will be taken ...

    Anti-American graffiti

    Too Early to Write Off the Left in Latin America

    Recent political developments across the region have prompted celebratory proclamations in the mainstream Western ...

    Hugo Chavez

    Brazil Reminds Chavez of Need for Freedom of Expression and Independent Justice

    While saying it is a “good friend” of Venezuela and his president, Hugo Chavez, ...

    Mayor of São Gabriel da Cachoeira, Pedro Garcia

    Over 70 Indians Elected as Mayors and City Council Members in Brazil

    Brazil's latest municipal elections, on October 5, resulted in a growing number of indigenous ...

    Lula and Dilma

    Lula’s Over 80% Popularity Is Giving His Pick to Succeed Him Big Boost

    Michelle Bachelet and Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva, two outgoing South American presidents have ...

    Saudi Arabia, main destination for Brazilian exports to Arab world

    Brazil Exports to Arab World Grow 19% to Over US$ 1.5 Bi

    Brazilian exports to the Arab countries generated over US$ 1.5 billion in the first ...

    Brazil Sought for US$ 100 Billion Real Estate Project in the Emirates

    A representative of United Marketing Group, which imports and distributes construction material and furniture ...

    O Rio! ("A Sweet Lightheartedness")

    Brazilians’ black and white and brown bodies interlock in volleyball games, in wrestling, in ...

    Brazil and Poor at WTO Meeting Urge Rich Nations to End Farm Subsidies

    The Global Call to Action Against Poverty, the largest international alliance for the elimination ...