Second Brazilian Mission Will Press London on Subway Killing

Brazil will send another mission to the United Kingdom to investigate the death of the national Jean Charles de Menezes, shot dead by British police who mistook him for a terrorist, the Foreign Affairs ministry announced Friday in BrasÀ­lia.

The mission, which is scheduled to be in London from January 30 to February 2, will include Ambassador Manoel Gomes Pereira, director of the Foreign Ministry’s Department of Brazilian Overseas Communities and Wagner Gonçalves, Assistant Attorney General among other officials.

De Menezes was chased and killed in the London Metro by seven shots to the head and one in the shoulder.

Scotland Yard agents presumably mistook de Menezes for one of the terrorists who were involved in bomb attacks to Metro stations and a bus in London last July.

Brazilian officials said the mission will follow up on contacts made by Brazilian representatives who visited London last August, and will also contact De Menezes’ family and their attorneys.

Brazilian officials will also try to "understand the reasons" why the family has not been given access to a report from the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC), and are scheduled to meet with the head of Britain’s Crown Prosecution Service.

IPCC presented last week to the prosecutors a report on the incident. It’s up to the prosecution whether to press criminal charges against the ten police officers involved in the incident. The Brazilians are also seeking information about the next judicial steps to be taken in the case.

Sending the mission "reflects the continuous concern of the Brazilian government that events surrounding the death of Jean Charles de Menezes be resolved," highlighted the Foreign Ministry.

Scotland Yard has admitted that a surveillance error caused the young Brazilian’s identity to be mistaken. The case is being investigated by the London Metropolitan Police Authority.

Mercopress – www.mercopress.com

Tags:

Ads

You May Also Like

World Has 8 Years to Escape Ecological Chaos, Says Prince Charles in Brazil

Currently in Brazil on a South American tour, Britain's Prince Charles warned on Thursday, ...

Chavez Tells Brazil How Mercosur Can Be Put Together Again

Venezuelan president Hugo Chavez is sponsoring a "new configuration" for Mercosur to help overcome ...

Brazilian Referendum on Firearms Ban Is Mandatory

Brazil’s Minister Carlos Madeira, acting president of the Federal Elections Court (TS), confirmed October ...