Brazil to Privatize 3,000 Km of Federal Highways by April

    According to Brazil’s presidential Chief of Staff, Dilma Rousseff (chefe da Casa Civil). the Brazilian government wants to conclude the privatization of some 3,000 kilometers of federal highways through the signing of concession contracts by April 15.

    Among the highways that will be turned over to private sector concessionaires are: the BR-153/SP (Minas Gerais-São Paulo and São Paulo-Paraná); the BR-116/PR/SC (Curitiba (capital of Paraná)-Santa Catarina-Rio Grande do Sul); the BR-393/RJ (Minas Gerais-Rio de Janeiro); the BR-101/RJ at the Costa e Silva Bridge; the BR-116 and the BR-376, between Curitiba and Florianópolis (capital of Santa Catarina); and the BR-101/ES (in the state of Espí­rito Santo), besides the Fernão Dias (BR-381, São Paulo-Belo Horizonte) and Régis Bittencourt (BR-116, São Paulo-Curitiba) highways.

    Following a decision by president Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva during a meeting of the Infrastructure Coordination Group (Coordenação de Infra-estrutura) Tuesday, January 3, highway repairs will begin next Monday (January 9) on some 4,592 kilometers of federal highways, to be followed by repairs on another 2,851 kilometers of state highways.

    According to minister Rousseff, the work on the state highways will need prior agreements with state governors. "We are proposing to pay 70% of the repair costs and want the states to pay the remaining 30%," said the Minister.

    ABr

    Tags:

    • Show Comments (0)

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    comment *

    • name *

    • email *

    • website *

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

    Ads

    You May Also Like

    Never So Many Jobs in Brazil

    Brazil’s National Confederation of Industry (CNI) announced that the number of jobs in the Brazilian ...

    Brazil and LatAm Don’t Lack Democracy but Government Quality, Says Global Forum

    The continuation of economic growth in Latin America, the challenges that must be met, ...

    Taxes and High Interests Are the Main Bad Guys in Brazilian Economy

    The Getúlio Vargas Foundation’s (FGV) Brazilian Economics Institute (IBRE) announced the results this Tuesday, ...

    Brazil’s Opposition Presidential Candidate Alckmin Has No Charisma

    Brazil’s leading opposition candidate, Geraldo Alckmin, said during his party’s national convention, Tuesday, June ...

    Armed Men Kidnap Globo TV Journalists in Brazil

    Two armed men kidnapped two journalists from Globo TV network, Brazil’s leading television network, ...

    Traffic jam in São Paulo, Brazil

    Unable to Keep Up with Demand Brazil Sharply Ups Fuel Imports Including Ethanol

    Brazilian oil production has failed to keep up with rising consumption, and the country ...

    Zelaya surrounded by the military in Brazilian embassy

    Besieged in Embassy Zelaya Extols Brazil’s Moral and Political Stature

    Brazilian president Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva didn't know a thing about deposed Honduran ...

    U.S.A. Calendar

    MONDAY 1 NEW YORK 9:00 PM – Brazil Night with Vanessa Falabella at The ...

    Brazil Still Mistreating Its Delinquent Minors, Says OAS

    A group of human rights organizations has released a report on the situation in ...

    Brazil and Mercosur Partners Officially Take In Venezuela

    The Mercosur Council formally approved Venezuela’s request to be accepted as a full member ...