Brazil Reaches Oil Self-Sufficiency by Year’s End

    Brazilian petroleum output should be enough by the end of 2005 to meet the country’s demand reported in BrasÀ­lia José Sérgio Gabrielli, CEO of Petrobras, Brazil’s government owned oil corporation.

    Mr. Gabrielli said Petrobras output (domestic and overseas) will reach a daily production of 2.231 million BOE barrels per day and “will be able to sustain that level, and even above, for many years to come. The level of developed reserves should remain stable for at least the next twenty years”.


    Petrobras is currently developing new reserves and expanding production as part of a US$ 56 billion 2006/10 investment plan announced last August.


    “By 2010 Petrobras is estimated will have a daily production of 3.4 million barrels, equivalent to Mexico’s current output”, indicated Mr. Gabrielli who nevertheless added that even with self sufficiency Brazil will continue to import oil because domestic production is mostly heavy crude and the company’s refineries operate mostly with lighter oil.


    Petrobras August domestic production of oil and natural gas is 1.96 million BOE bpd which represents 10.6% over August 2004 but 2.8% less that last July.


    International oil and natural gas production from eight countries with Petrobras operations totaled 263,834 BOE bpd, a slight 0.7% increase over last month, with Bolivia and Venezuela compensating output contractions in Ecuador and United States.


    Domestic oil production totaled 1,695 million bpd, a 2.9% drop from July because of maintenance jobs in several oil rigs in the Marlim, Caratinga and Albacora fields. Natural gas domestic daily production last August in Brazil reached 43,318,000 cubic meters and overseas oil production 165,824 bpd.


    Mr. Gabrielli also announced that the company’s subsidiary, Petrobras America had discovered offshore high quality natural gas reserves at its Garden 244 block in the Gulf of Mexico. Gas was struck at a water depth of 640 meters and the well should be producing by early 2007.


    Petrobras has an 80% stake in the project and is the operator. Independent oil and gas explorer Marine Energy Inc has the remaining 20%. The Garden Banks is one of the four focal areas for Petrobras in the Gulf of Mexico. Last month Petrobras won exploration rights for 53 blocks in the Gulf of Mexico including a new block close to the Cottonwood find.


    The Brazilian oil company has plans to invest US$ 1.5 billion in the next five years in the Gulf of Mexico to reach an output target of 100.000 bpd in 2010.


    This article appeared originally in Mercopress – www.mercopress.com.

    Tags:

    • Show Comments (0)

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    comment *

    • name *

    • email *

    • website *

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

    Ads

    You May Also Like

    Lula Sells Biofuel to South Koreans and Wants Them Investing in Brazil

    President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva spoke about the Brazilian economy today to invite ...

    Chevron Closes Brazil’s Oronite Plant

    Chevron Oronite Company LLC announced today that it is closing its  manufacturing plant operated ...

    Brazilian house

    Some Brazilians Are Also Finding It Hard to Pay Their Home Loans

    As the excitement and exuberance continues to mount globally with regards to Brazil’s property ...

    Brazil Has 42 Million Volunteers

    Brazil’s National Volunteer Day was commemorated yesterday, August 28. According to a study conducted ...

    Brazil Joins 7 Amazon Neighbor Countries to Manage Common Water

    An international project will promote the integration of eight different countries in the Amazon ...

    Brazil’s Ronaldinho Becomes UN Ambassador Against Hunger and Poverty

    Brazilian soccer star Ronaldinho, one of the world’s best known sports figures, agreed to ...

    While the US Alienates Brazil and LatAm Spain Woos Them

    The 2004 elections in Spain pitted incumbent Prime Minister José MarÀ­a Aznar López of ...

    Brazilian Cities Get Extra Loans from Inter-American Development Bank

    The opening session of the 47th Annual Meeting of the Inter-American Development Bank (IADB), ...

    Lula on Brazil: ‘We Shall Surprise and Grow Over 5%’

    Brazilian President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva once again declared that this year will ...

    After Indian Is Murdered Brazal Talks About Resettlemant

    Of December 25, Dgrvalino da Rocha, an Indian, was murdered in the region, exacerbating ...