Brazil Campaign Raises Bone Marrow Donors to 130,000

    After a yearlong campaign to encourage bone marrow donations, the number of donors has risen considerably in Brazil. Thanks to the campaign, sponsored by the National Cancer Institute (Inca), the country now has around 130,000 potential donors.

    The director of the Bone Marrow Transplant Center, Luí­s Fernando Bozas, attributed the increase in the number of potential donors to the change in campaign strategy and a directed approach to probable collaborators.


    According to the Inca, there were around 43,000 donors in December, 2003. The total grew to 105,000 thousand in 2004. The goal for the next two years is 250-300 thousand registered donors.


    According to Bozas, the people who will benefit the most from the increase in the number of donors are patients who are awaiting bone marrow transplants and don’t have compatible donors in the family.


    “There is approximately a 30% chance of finding a donor in the family, and the other 70% are patients who lack this possibility. Therefore, they are the ones who will benefit.”


    The National Bone Marrow Donors Campaign, which was launched on June 18, 2004, is carried out in various states, in partnership with companies and blood centers.


    The initiative also has the backing of state health departments and various non-governmental organizations (NGOs).


    ABr – www.radiobras.gov.br

    Tags:

    • Show Comments (1)

    • Guest

      water conservation
      I am an American living here in Brasil, also an inventor with 3 patents for water conservation which won 1st place at the INVENTION CONVENTION FOR WORLD WIDE USE IN AGRICULTURAL FOR WATER CONSERVATION, the machine injects partially hydrated agricultural polymers into existing turf, row crops, trees plants shrubs and golf courses, once injected the polymers hold the water at root level and prevent percolation of the water beyond the root level.. With this process water savings are from 30% to 70%. The Machine was also the PRODUCT OF THE YEAR FOR THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA.
      I am interested in finding investors and manufactures to produce these machines here in Brasil.
      If interested for further information please contact me.

      Regards,
      Lee Dunning
      polymatic@yahoo.com

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    comment *

    • name *

    • email *

    • website *

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

    Ads

    You May Also Like

    Brazil/Argentina frontier

    Argentina to Impose Retaliatory Tariffs on Brazilian Products

    The government of Argentina announced it would slap anti-dumping tariffs for six months on ...

    PC Pirates Killed Computer Market in Brazil

    It didn’t take too long. Brazil has surpassed China as the champion of pirated ...

    Mike, the robot created by Brazil's FEI students

    Brazil Holds Fair to Promote Robots in Industry and Schools

    The International Robotics and Artificial Intelligence Fair, which will start tomorrow, April 11, at ...

    Itaipy hydroelectric plant

    Brazil Reminds Paraguay that Itaipu Was Built with Brazilian Money

    The president of Brazil, Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva and the Brazilian ministerial cabinet ...

    Brazil and Sudan Sign Crops for Oil Deal

    The Ministers of Foreign Relations of Brazil and Sudan signed, yesterday, a technical cooperation ...

    Brazilian Minister Criticizes High Interest Rates

    Brazil’s Minister of Labor, Luiz Marinho, says he did not like the decision by ...

    Brazil Needs Better Distribution of Assets, Says Unesco

    At the 1st Ibero-American Congress for Sustainable Development, today, in Rio de Janeiro, the ...

    Stage Struck II

    By Brazzil Magazine Continued from our last issue MILESTONES OF BRAZILIAN THEATER IN THE ...

    Contrary to Expectations Brazil-US Relations Are Great, Says Lula

    Relations between Brazil and the United States (US) are experiencing one of their best ...

    Brazil and Neighbors Request US$ 100 Million Loan for Foot and Mouth Disease

    Southern Cone countries have requested US$ 100 million from the Interamerican Development Bank, IDB, ...