Market Diversification Boosts Brazilian Exports

    Exports shipped to countries such as Trinidad and Tobago, Poland, and Algeria, with which Brazil had no trading tradition, earned over US$ 4 billion in 2004.

    According to the secretary of Foreign Trade of the Ministry of Development, Ivan Ramalho, the addition of these new markets to Brazil’s list of foreign trade partners constituted a significant change in the country’s export profile.


    “We experienced a powerful process of market diversification. The biggest export increases in 2004 occurred in sales to non-traditional markets, such as the Middle East, Eastern Europe, the Caribbean, and some African countries,” he affirmed.


    According to Ramalho, the United States, which has historically been the largest buyer of Brazilian products, accounted for “only 20% of what the country exported.” “The other 80% now goes to scores of other countries,” he explained.


    Another significant change in Brazil’s export profile, Ramalho highlighted, was the addition of 600 new products to the country’s export list, which is made up of 7,100 items.


    40 years ago, 93% of what Brazil exported consisted of non-industrial raw materials, such as ore and grains, or semi-manufactured goods with little added value, such as soybean meal and timber.


    Only 6% represented manufactured products with high added value, such as tractors and airplanes.


    Currently, approximately 45% of the country’s exports is composed of raw materials and semi-manufactured goods, while 55% are manufactured products.


    The items that experienced the highest rates of growth were aircraft (66.6%) and tractors (90.4%).


    The Brazilian record in terms of the percentage of manufactured goods exported was in 1993, when 59% of the country’s exports represented this category of products.


    The chief regions to which Brazil’s exports increased in 2004 were the Mercosur (57.1%) – to Argentina alone the growth amounted to 61.7%); the ALADI (Latin American Integration Association, made up of Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, Colombia, Cuba, Ecuador, Mexico, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay, and Venezuela), with a 48.8% growth rate when it comes to the non-Mercosur members; Africa (48.4%); the Middle East (31.4%); the European Union (30.9%); Asia (24.7%); Eastern Europe (22.7%); and the United States (20.4%).


    Translation: David Silberstein
    Agência Brasil

    Tags:

    • Show Comments (0)

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    comment *

    • name *

    • email *

    • website *

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

    Ads

    You May Also Like

    FAB search

    Brazil Finds Bodies from Air France Jet While Waiting for French Submarines

    The Brazilian Air Force announced this Saturday night, June 6, that it had found ...

    Brazilian seamstresses by Márcia Gouthier/ASN

    Exports by Small Brazilian Firms Reach US$ 2.1 Billion, a Record

    The participation of micro and small companies in Brazilian exports has been rising year ...

    A survivor of Mexican massacre

    Brazilian Migrants on Way to the US Among Killed in Mexico’s Drug Gang Massacre

    The Ministry of Foreign Relations of Brazil has received word from the Mexican government ...

    Brazilian Radio man Nicanor Linhares Batista

    Brazil Ex-Mayor to Be Tried By Jury for Death of Journalist

    One of Brazil's highest federal courts, the Superior Tribunal of Justice (STJ), ruled on ...

    Soybean

    All Things Considered Soybean Is Still Gold for Brazilian Farmers

    Despite growing pest problems and soaring fertilizer and transport costs Brazil’s soybean farmers will ...

    Brazil’s Petrobras Wants to Restart Talks from Beginning with Bolivia

    When the new President of Bolivia, Evo Morales, takes office on January 22, Petrobras ...

    Brazilian exports

    Brazilians Want Foreign Trade Policy That Will Make Them Competitive

    The main suggestion presented by Brazilian businessmen who operate in foreign trade in Brazil ...

    The Condemned of the Earth Made Their Voice Heard in Brazil

    The south of Brazil, confluence of the strongest social movements from Brazil and Latin ...

    Riad Malki

    Middle East Negotiations Could Benefit from Brazil’s Help, Say Palestinians

    Brazil’s foreign minister, Celso Amorim, met with the minister of Foreign Affairs of the ...

    Minister Celso Amorim from Brazil

    Brazil’s Lula Answers Obama’s Letter. Disagreements Persist

    Brazil's Foreign Relations minister Celso Amorim told reporters that he talked for about an ...