Brazil’s Lula Asks Media Not to Play Terrorism with Swine Flu

Swine fly epidemic Brazil is prepared to face the challenge brought by the swine flu, according to Brazilian president, Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva, who on Wednesday, April 29, called for caution when dealing with the disease information. "Let us not play terrorism with the disease," said the Brazilian leader.

"We have the necessary medicines for our people and we are doing the right checking at international airports and sea terminals," said Lula previous to his meeting with his Peruvian counterpart Alan Garcí­a.

The Brazilian president said "we are facing a moment of caution and prevention, and let us not play terrorism." He called on the media for "responsibility" so as not to create panic among the population.

So far Brazil has some twenty suspect cases in several states, but none have been confirmed. The Brazilian population is estimated in 180 million.

In related news the Brazilian pork industry requested from the World Health Organization to cease identifying the deadly outbreak in Mexico as "swine flu" because the name is having a negative impact on the whole industry and there's no scientific evidence to prove such is the case.

The name "swine flu" has triggered fears that the infection can originate in the consumption of pork and sub products, which has been denied point blank by WHO authorities, but has not impeded Russia and China to ban the import of pork from those countries where the flu has been confirmed.

Mercopress

Tags:

Ads

You May Also Like

Cover Story – Health Care and Education

Healthcare and education were announced as the main priorities of Fernando Henrique Cardoso’s presidency. ...

US Goes with Brazil on Labelling Genetically Modified Food

The United States has decided to accept the Brazilian position on international labelling of ...

Saudi Youths Get a Chance to Play Soccer in Brazil Against Their Idols

There is more to it than just winning or losing. The experience of playing ...