Brazil Finds Oil in New Exploratory Frontier Off Northeast Coast

    Petrobras's Gurupá oil ship

    Petrobras's Gurupá oil ship Brazilian state-controlled oil multinational Petrobras and Norwegian company StatoilHydro announced this Tuesday, November 25, that traces of oil were found in an exploratory well in Lua Nova area, in Jequitinhonha Basin, off the coast of the state of Bahia.

    The well is operated by the Brazilian company, which has 60% participation, and by StatoilHydro, which has the remaining 40%.

    "The presence of oil was confirmed in arenite areas of the late cretaceous period. Further drilling and analysis should take place to determine whether the discovery has a positive economic potential," according to a press statement. "The well should be drilled to greater depths, according to the exploration program," says the text.

    This was the first well drilled in deep waters in Jequitinhonha Basin, at a water depth of 2,300 meters. The block is located 74 kilometers off the coast of Bahia, at a water depth of 2,354 meters, with reservoirs situated at approximately 3,630 meters from the bottom of the sea.

    Petrobras also added that the extension of the reserves and their economic viability should be evaluated later in the Assessment Plan (AP) to be proposed to the National Petroleum, Natural Gas and Biofuel Agency (ANP).

    The find was notified to the ANP following the standard procedure when oil is found in the country.

    This is a region of a new exploratory frontier for Brazil and it has been classified as priority by Petrobras, which even transferred equipment from the pre-salt layers to Jequitinhonha Basin. The block, BM-J-3, where Lua Nova may be found, was granted for exploration in 2002 during the fourth round of tendering promoted by the ANP.

    StatoilHydro, the Petrobras partner in the project, is responsible for almost all oil production in Norway. The company is responsible for 1.5 million barrels of oil equivalent a day, but it also operates in countries like Angola, Venezuela, Azerbaijan and Algeria.

    Anba

    Tags:

    • Show Comments (0)

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    comment *

    • name *

    • email *

    • website *

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

    Ads

    You May Also Like

    Brazil's Kaká

    Brazil’s Five Beasts of the Apocalypse

    Fans of attacking football rejoice: Brazil are back. Or rather, the real Brazil are ...

    Infinity Bio plant in Brazil

    A Brazilian Leading Ethanol Maker Vows Lower Emissions and Higher Wages

    Brazil-based Infinity Bio-Energy, a leading Brazilian Ethanol producer, announced that it is adopting new ...

    Elementary, Emperor

    3 By Jô Soares 1 At three A.M., a few Negro slaves could still ...

    Patrícios, a book on Arabs in Brazil

    Book Tells Story of New Arab Immigrants to Brazil: the Muslims

    Demand for the book by Oswaldo Truzzi, "PatrÀ­cios – SÀ­rios e Libaneses em São ...

    U.S.A. Calendar

    FRIDAY 1 POMPANO BEACH FLORIDA 8:00 PM – Clauduarte at Rebecca’s (954) 785-7766 CENTURY ...

    Tupinikim chief Jaguaretê

    Tired of Waiting for Government Action Brazilian Indians Take Over Land

    Tupinikim and Guarani Brazilian Indians who live in the southeastern state of EspÀ­rito Santo ...

    Brazil's Itaipu hydroelectric plant

    Brazil at a Crossroad on How to Deal with Current Energy Crisis

    Brazil's current "energy crisis" should extend for "at least another four years," according to ...

    Brazil’s Zero Hunger Presents Balance Sheet

    Brazil government’s intention is to reach 6.5 million families with its Family Voucher (Bolsa ...

    Brazil Still Has the Same Railway System of 60 Years Ago

    The perspective of Brazil becoming the greatest world producer of food is an element ...

    Brazil, Champion of Inflation in the Mercosur

    Brazil registered the highest inflation in the Mercosur in 2004, as gauged by the ...